Wednesday, December 21, 2005

NYC Transit Strike

I am so completely inconvenienced and generally fucked by the transit strike that really all I can do is laugh. Christmas? What Christmas? I arose moments ago, intending to hop into the shower so that I could take the bus to the ferry, and the subway to my office; and then later this morning I was going to take the subway to the Port Authority bus terminal to make final arrangements for my trip to Canada, do some final shopping, etc.

The earth circles the sun but the world revolves around New York City.

Or not. There was a recent transit strike in Philadelphia, which the union won. The Times indicates that transit workers here make up to $100,000 a year. That seems like a lot. General Motors may pay its assembly line workers $70,000, but GM is not making money. The old line airlines are disappearing because of union contracts.

The head of the transit union is not an educated native speaker. I don’t love the sound of his voice on the radio. Or do I miss the injustice in their lives?

20 December

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home