Monday, October 23, 2006

Enough of the People All of the Time

I’m more or less convinced the Democrats are going to blow the mid-term elections. I so feared President Bush’s reelection in 2004 that I agreed to readings in Paris and Frankfurt to avoid witnessing that step to America’s suicide. In the event, I’m sure I felt as miserable in Amerika Haus in Frankfurt as I would have in a TriBeCa loft. The morning after Reagan was elected I went bird watching. My friend was ebullient. Her boyfriend had laughed all through the election returns, and the funniest part, he said, was I would never get another grant. I knew this couple was extremely wealthy. We remain friends. Nevertheless I thought their reaction was merely odd. Subsequently however there were articles in the Village Voice to the effect that Artists Space, the Franklin Furnace and Unmuzzled OX were on the Reagan administration hit list. Again, I had written for the Voice in the ‘70s, and the falling out was so utter, I didn’t even bother to look at the articles covering that matter. What nonsense! I thought. Only years later in conversation with the head of Artists Space did I understand that for some reason Unmuzzled OX bugged Ronnie Reagan; or, at least, there had been “leaks.” I pray that this present president is similarly annoyed. But I pray further and fervently and seriously that he may some day soon relent his ceaseless war on Iraq and the American middle class.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirby Olson said...

Actually I think they are planning to pull out if there is a Democratic win and they will then blame the schismatic slaughter on the Democrats.

For a time UnMuzzled Ox was the greatest literary journal going. Then came the Corpse, and you sort of folded shop.

I keep hoping you will revive the journal just once and put something of mine in it. It's one of my great sorrows that I was never published in it. From about 1975-1980 I lived and dreamed about the UnMuzzled Ox. I loved it. The Corso issue I still swoon over, as do I swoon over all the back issues that I still own.

Perhaps it's too late to revive it for one more run just so I could send you some piffle, but think:

I would try to give you a pro-Reagan poem of some kind.

I will get right to work on it purely on speculation!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Michael Andre said...

Yeah, I guess if ran a lot of Republican poems, especially elegies to Reagan, the NEA would once more be an OX cash cow.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Michael Andre said...

Kirby's praise of Unmuzzled OX is kind and even flattering.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home