Saturday, April 19, 2008

HITTING STONES WITH STICKS

Sports rivalries curiously permit people to indulge in a giddy war-like rhetoric. I remember years ago after a playoff series ended in victory for a local team, a woman asked, “Who do we hate now?” American sports are a mock Peloponnesian War. People enjoy the kidding. It enlivens the spirit.

Thursday around 5:00pm I took the Staten Island ferry into Manhattan. Both the Mets and Yankees were in town, and fans of both clubs were decked out in their regalia and crossing for the games. When I returning to Staten Island around 11:00pm, an equal number of fans were subdued and listless. I concluded the locals had lost; -- the Yankees, tragically, to the Red Sox. However, checking the Internet (that odd fad), I discovered the Mets game had gone in fact into extra innings. I then listened to the Mets on the radio beat the Nationals on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 14th.

And what does all this mean? Nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home