Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Village Voice

I’m very grateful to the Village Voice. They discussed or at least mentioned me or Unmuzzled OX some dozen times. I was briefly their junior art critic; David Bourdon was the senior critic. (By the time of his death David was my closest friend.) The Voice even published my only cartoon! Oddly enough, when Reagan was elected president and the NEA was ordered to exclude Unmuzzled OX, Artists Space, Franklin Furnace, etc., the info was leaked to the Village Voice -- but I refused to read the articles! By that time I was angry at them for their handling of my art criticism. And they were no longer writing me up. I retaliated by boycotting the paper for at least ten years. That taught them a lesson. And me too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirby Olson said...

I wonder to what extent blogs have replaced more traditional paper formats. I do still read the local paper.

But for much of my literary information, I go to blogs.

It's nice to see you in an accessible format again.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Cyphers Wright said...

The only thing I read in the Voice is R.C. Baker's art reviews. They're fab. When my friend Carole Bovoso left the Voice I could no longer get Voice Choices or any coverage. I boycotted them too! Now I read R.C. and look at the band listings.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home